Saturday, June 30, 2012

Peach-Almond Crisp

I am sooooo behind in blog posts. I have quite a few to write up and promise to write some more soon…
I went to the Memphis Farmer’s Market today and went a little crazy buying vegetables. The weird thing is that there was hardly any selection of fruit. I did get a lot of yummy peaches – the white kind.the goods
I decided to make a recipe in one of the cookbooks I had in college that my parents brought back to me on my last visit…Light Desserts. P6300397These cook books are all from the late 80’s. There are good light recipe ideas but it is amazing how much more selection of low-cal food there now is to use that there wasn’t then. Oddly enough, while my parents were here we visited Burke’s Books and saw one of the exact issues they brought me. And it was selling for $10!
So here is my altered version of Oxmoor House’s 1989 Light Desserts “Peach-Almond Crisp” on page 113:
Peach-Almond Crisp
Ingredients
  • 3 medium-size ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (about 3/4 lbs)
  • 1/4C of Splenda granulated
  • 1 1/2t wheat flour
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • drop of almond extract
  • vegetable cooking spray
  • 1/4C oatmeal, regular oats uncooked
  • 1 1/2T brown sugar
  • 1T white flour
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/2T Brummel & Brown yogurt spread
  • 2T toasted almonds, chopped
InstructionsP6300400

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Place peach mixture in a 1/2 to 1 quart baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.




P6300401

Combine oats and next 4 ingredients, stirring well. Cut in margarine (Brummel & Brown) with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add almonds. Sprinkle mixture evenly over peach mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

I don’t have a pastry blender but I know Karen does so I am sad that I can’t just walk down the hall and borrow it. Sigh. I just used forks and a blender with pastry attachments. It seemed to work okay.
before and after
Somehow I misread the directions and baked at 350 instead of 375 so the top wasn’t as crispy as it should be. I ate two of the three servings (with ice cream!) but when I reheat the final serving, I will heat it in the oven at a higher temperature. Did I mention that I burned the first batch of toasted almonds? This happens to me EVERY time I toast almonds. EVERY. TIME.
P6300404
For any of you who actually want to make this, here are the stats:
Serving Size: 3 servings
Amount Per Serving:
  • Calories: 147.8
  • Total Fat: 4.0 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 17.5 mg
  • Total Carbs: 28.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
  • Protein: 3.3 g

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum sounds delicious! Are you going to make it for us at the meeting?

Vagabonde said...

That does sound good. You’ll have to make it for us some day.

Southern Sugar and Spice Girl said...

I think you could maybe use this filling inside wonton wrappers, brush with egg wash, and bake off. Topped with powdered sugar this could be a good adaptation. Inspiring recipe post! I will try them both.