Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Club–Sarah’s Key

Last night, we had our monthly book club gathering. This month’s book was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. When I was first invited to join the Stoneybrook  Book Club, the books had already been selected for several months. A different member of the club hosts the gathering each month and for my month the book that had been preselected was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  princess cupcakes_so sadI loved this book and went on to read the other two in the series. For my first book club gathering, I added a Swedish dinner. It was really a lot of fun. Here are some pictures of my delicious princess cupcakes. They tasted a LOT better than they looked and had all the requisite layers. If you want to see the look I was going for (and the recipe), go to the cookie shop blog. This is very labor intensive but way better than the Ikea ones (which are good in a pinch.) ikea princess cupcakes

Plus, mine had alcohol in them!!

 

Anyway, I digress. The reason I give you all this backstory is that I had so much fun hosting a night to match the book that I suggested that we each get to select the book to read for the month we are hosting. And to my pleasure, the group agreed.  My next book was suggested by most everyone in my family – The Glass Castle.  Then when my turn came again, I chose Sarah’s Key based on my mom’s recommendation. Again, I went all out.

book club signI created a sign for my front door and then used the same motif to create labels for all my food. 

Since Sarah’s Key is in France, I labeled all the food in French (with my mom’s help, of course!) peach galette

 

 

 

 

labeled foodI tried to pick French theme-food, including some French sandwiches (made by Lee’s Sandwiches – a small Vietnamese and Euro-style sandwich shop chain.) I printed very small versions of the book cover and taped them to toothpicks. I used these on a few of the sandwiches and Deli Manjoo pastries. (Click on pictures to bigify and read labels!)

book covers

Peach GalletteI made a galette with fresh peaches. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take pictures until after the gathering so there isn’t much left to see.

Besides all the cute (if I do say so myself) labels by the food, I tried to use some French dishes. It’s hard to see in the pictures but you may notice a bowl and mug with my name on it. (Unlike America where I have never seen my name on anything except while in Vegas, in France my name is more common and preprinted on lots of stuff!! Both of these were gifts, one from my Mom and one from my grandmother, Mémère.)french dishes

I decorated by putting some paintings and pictures of France and French landmarks, stacking up some books written in French, and putting out a pile of pictures from my visits to France. tour eiffel

Any suggestions as to what my next book should be?

 

 

*If you are wondering if I saw the movie,…I did. And I did NOT like it.

No comments: