Monday, December 26, 2011

Classic Cookbook Challenge–December

abc gourmet cooking
I love collecting and reading old cookbooks. So last month I created a challenge for myself to make one recipe a month for a year from old cookbooks. You can read my original post here. I also said that if anyone wanted to send me an old cookbook, then they could chose the recipe for me to make.
Well, a few days after that post I received a cookbook in the mail from my aunt.

Here she is with me and my cousin (her son) on a vacation we took to Savannah, GA ruth greg and celine in the 70’s.

The book she sent is the ABC of Gourmet Cooking that she got as a present from a close family friend back in 1963. The book is copyrighted in 1956. She selected the Quiche Lorraine recipe for me to make. She says she has made it (and many variations of it) many, many times throughout the years.

Q is for quiche

(Click on picture to bigify it.)
I was very pleased that she picked a recipe with few ingredients and that looked relatively easy. Plus, I have never made a quiche before!



But before I get to the quiche, I’d like to share the preface with you. I thought it was very encouraging so if you’d like to read it too, click on the picture to see it larger.
preface
I pretty much followed the ingredients exactly with a few exceptions to lighten it up just a tad. I used 2% milk instead of whole and for the Swiss cheese, I used low-fat Swiss cheese for about a third of it (the rest was the whole fat version). I did use my pink piggy microwave bacon cooker, which they didn’t have back then.
ingredientspink pig bacon cooker
Ready for the oven!ready to be cooked
 Cooking in the oven…in the oven
Out of the oven!is it done yet



oops - not cooked
The timer dings. I put a toothpick in the center of the quiche and it comes out clean. I start to cut a slice and liquid oozes out of the top.  It is not done at all. So back in the oven it goes – for another 20 minutes!
When I take it out again, it has totally risen, like a soufflé. I wish I had thought to take a picture because it dropped to half it height within seconds. This time it was ready!!

risen and ready
See how the sides have risen? Oh, you noticed that some of the crust was missing? That was me “checking” that the crust was finished. Hee, hee!





farmer's market
Earlier in the morning, I went to the Alamitos Bay Farmer’s Market and got some really fresh, yummy grape tomatoes. I sliced them in half and covered with Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (one of my favorites!) But you won’t see that in the final picture because Karen and I got too hungry waiting for the quiche to finish. The tomatoes became an appetizer as opposed to a side dish!




My 365 picture of all the tomatoes…


I will definitely make this quiche again. It was relatively easy and very, very yummy. And it made a lot! let's eat

1 comment:

Vagabonde said...

That really looks delicious – I can almost smell it.