Thursday, December 15, 2011

My last Stoneybrook Book Club Meeting

suppliesSo, the cat’s out of the bag. For those of you who didn’t already know, I am moving. To where? Well, that is TBD!! But I am moving out of my condo in January.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Our book for the month was picked by Lora, The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. The thing that we all seemed to like best about it was that it was a quick read! But overall, I did like this book and would recommend it, especially if you are in a book club as it gave us a lot to talk about. But then again, we are all talkers.
book club_loraSince it was to be my last book club and some of my neighbors did not know about my move, I decided to make them a little “Celine” gift. If you remember this post here, I had created a design for us to label my door and all my “French” food. I decided to revisit that design and make a Stoneybrook Book Club book mark!


mistakeahhh...this is better
glueFirst I cut the design in half, then printed them on business cards. (This took two tries due to borders.) Then I glued the cards together…punched a hole in them…and tied a piece of yarn through the hole.
pompomsLastly, to jazz it up and make it even more Celine-like, I added a handmade pompom from the same yarn and threaded it through the hole as well.

finishedI think everyone really liked them. And now when they are reading their next book club selection, they can think of me when they mark their page.
cakeAlso, I made a cake for Kate’s birthday. She had told me previously that her favorite is German chocolate so I made a four-layer one. (It was all made from scratch- no canned frosting for this gal!) YUMMY!!


Kate has a nursing degree so she did not blow out the candles but instead extinguished each flame with her fingers. We all thought she was odd until she explained that by blowing out the candles, one is essentially blowing their germs all over the cake. Ugh! I had never thought of that before but will from now on whenever someone blows out candles.
candlesPat, Patti, Karen, Lora, Kate, and Leslie: I will miss our little book club.

2 comments:

Vagabonde said...

That does sound like an interesting book – but a piece of home-made German chocolate cake… my mouth is watering thinking about it!

livininlb said...

I'd be happy to make it again for your birthday. It was delicious!